RE: Problem run application from Local System Account - WindowsServer 2008

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:36:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, Hanan Brener wrote:

Please don't top-post. It makes it hard for everyone to follow the discussion.

> We have get the last version curl-7.20.1 but encounter to compile in our
> Microsoft Visual C++ version 6.0
> environment. We get error -
> curl-7.20.1\lib\setup.h(500) : fatal error C1189: #error : MSVC 6.0
> requires 'February 2003 Platform SDK' a.k.a. 'Windows Server 2003 PSDK'

Yes, but this is something you can and should address. If I've understood
those things correctly.

> You ask what happens exactly - on loading our application - application
> crashed immediately. And it happens only with applications used libcurl.
> When I have remark calling to libcurl API everything is working
> properly.
> As we found in some windows user groups about similar problem -
> " Problematic library has some global objects which directly use
> windows sockets library "init" code.

No, libcurl has no such code or "global objects".

> This library was crashing my application before the control reaches to
> any of my code.

Then your windows is seriously broken or you've discovered something really
funky that I'm not aware of.

libcurl does _nothing_ until you call it from your application. If something
crashes before your app calls libcurl, it simply is not libcurl's fault.

> Under admin account this code works fine.
> Microsoft confirmed that the sequence of loading the libraries are
> different for admin compare to
> local system account and is the cause of this problem." It seems we have
> encountered with the same kind of problem.

This is quite clearly a very Windows-specific problem and it has something to
do with how Windows loads DLLs or something like that, so I'm afraid I'm of no
use here. I don't know anything about that.