Re: Binding to interface and IP

From: Ben Greear <greearb_at_candelatech.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 13:03:52 -0700

On 07/07/2010 12:55 PM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

>>> I do not understand your idea. Do you want to bind a socket to
>>> specific address on specific interface (in case you have more
>>> interfaces with the same address)?
>>
>> I want the SO_BINDTODEVICE logic, and I also want to set the specific
>
> SO_BINDTODEVICE should be able to use if you just figure out which
> interface that has the particular address, shouldn't you? Unless you
> have the same IP on several interfaces, but that sounds like a really
> bizarre setup.
>
>> address because I want to support multiple addresses on each interface.
>
> If you figure out which interface based on the IP, won't that work?

I'm planning to have thousands of IPs and thousands of interfaces,
and my app knows which IP and device curl should use, so I don't want
to probe and search all of those again in the guts of the curl library.

I don't want to use the same IP on different interfaces, so technically
I could determine the interface based on IP..but it's quite costly
to figure it out, especially for secondary IPs which I think you have
to get at through netlink..not normal libc api.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb_at_candelatech.com>