Re: [curl 4/5] dns: Support binding DNS to local interface/IP

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:43:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010, Ben Greear wrote:

> + /* Set the DNS servers for c-ares to use.
> + * comma separated list of host[:port] entries.
> + */
> + CINIT(DNS_SERVERS, OBJECTPOINT, 206),

Some comments:

I'm very curious. What is the specific use-case for this? We're working really
hard at making the name resolving done resolver-agnostic and here you all of a
sudden no longer provide the name servers using the generic /etc/resolv.conf
or similar but instead control them directly within libcurl.

Do we really need _three_ options to set outgoing interface for DNS queries
when we manage with _one_ for the ordinary TCP connection? I would much rather
have the DNS resolves use the same logic and concept as CURLOPT_INTERFACE.
Thoughts on that?

In regards to all your suggested options, I miss the docs for them in your
patch. Unfortunately, I realize adding decent test cases for them is very
tricky.