Watcom makefiles

From: Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 05:49:55 +0200

Hi,
I tried already with 7.20.1 to build libcurl/curl with OpenWatcom, but
that failed for me with a couple of errors, but had no time to look
deeper into it. Now I tried again with 7.21.0 and found that still the
makefiles are not ready for the average user, and finally I did an
overhaul of the makefiles to overcome my problems (and most likely of
other users too):
- make both libcurl and curl makefiles use register calling convention
   (previously libcurl had stack calling convention).
- added include paths to the Watcom headers so its no longer required
   to set the environment vars for this.
- added -wcd=201 to supress compiler warning about unreachable code.
- use macros for all tools, and removed dependency on GNU tools like rm.
- make ipv6 and debug builds controlable via env vars and so make them
   optional instead of default.
- commented WINLDAPAPI and WINBERAPI since they broke with OW 1.8, and
   it seems they're not needed (anymore?).
- added rule for hugehelp.c.cvs so that it will be created when not
   already exist - this is required for building from a release tarball
   since there we have no hugehelp.c.cvs, thus compilation broke.
- removed C_ARG creation from lib/Makefile.Watcom and use CFLAGS
   directly as done too in src/Makefile.Watcom - this has the benefit
   that we will see all active cflags and defines during compile.
- added LINK-ARG to src/Makefile.Watcom in order to better control
   linker input.
- a couple of other minor makefile tweaks here and there ...
- added largefile support for Watcom builds to confog-win32.h. Not yet
   tested if it really works, but should since Win32 supports it.

I've tested these makefiles with OpenWatcom 1.8 and recent 1.9,
with/without zlib, and works fine. What I have not yet got working is
linking curl.exe statically; I guess this is needs some furher tweaking,
though I have already prepared for.
Here are the build logs which also show few warnings which we might be
able to fix in the code:
http://www.gknw.net/test/watcom/watcom_build_ipv6.txt
http://www.gknw.net/test/watcom/watcom_build_zlib.txt

Please take a look at the patch (also attached):
http://www.gknw.net/test/watcom/watcom.diff
which I will push to git this evening unless someone objects.

One think I have not yet looked at closer is the output of 'curl -V'
which looks a bit strange:
curl 7.21.0 (i386-pc-win32) libcurl/7.21.0

Protocols: dict file ftp http imap ldap pop3 rtsp smtp telnet tftp
Features: AsynchDNS IPv6 Largefile SPNEGO

well, probably not clearly visible in here in mail what I mean, but I
describe: 2 empty lines between curl version and Protocols, and no
linebreak for Features.

thanks, Gün.