Re: Watcom makefiles - some more ...

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:08:23 -0700

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:40:17PM +0200, Guenter wrote:
> Am 28.07.2010 22:52, schrieb Guenter:
>> Since its always our wish to use Makefile.inc rather than manually
>> maintaining source/object file lists I played at bit with wmake -u
>> switch; this seems to be the key in order to read in Makefile.inc.
>> I've tested that this works with recent OWC 1.9/1.8 and also with Watcom
>> 11c, and it always works fine (where some other macro constructs in the
>> makefiles anyway prevent that 11c works with the current makefiles). So
>> all we need is to change the calls in our main Makefile:

My reluctance to force the use of the -u flags was because people would
inevitably forget and wonder why things didn't build. I didn't notice that
wmake was called from the dist makefile--that mostly solves that objection.

>> In case someone calls the makefiles in lib and src directly we can bail
>> out and tell what's required:

And this solves my remaining objection. Looks good to me!

>> Unfortunately this works only great for lib/Makefile.inc; with
>> src/Makefile.inc I see two probs:
>> 1. wmake seems to be case-insensitive, so CURL_SOURCES and curl_SOURCES
>> is same for wmake, thus makes this Makefile.inc unuseable for Watcom.
>> 2. I didnt yet figure out how I can split off the prefixed path from
>> CURLX_ONES.

Sounds like renaming one of the two CURL_SOURCES variables is the way
to go.

> alternately there just came another idea into mind:
> instead of using the \ as line continuation character (which is the prob
> with wmake) we could just do in Makefile.inc:
> CSOURCES = file1.c file2.c file3.c
> CSOURCES += file4.c file5.c file6.c

I'm pretty sure this isn't portable.

>>> Dan