RE: Java cURL

From: Patrick Monnerat <Patrick.Monnerat_at_datasphere.ch>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 14:24:54 +0200

Carlos Andres Martinez wrote:

> Dear Patrick,
>
> Hi! I recently was working on a java app for downloading some files. I thought CURL was a good option since I wanted something more sophisticated than raw URL connections, and didn't want all the hassle of HTTP client. I bumped into your code at http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/java/ and thought I would give it a go. It took a bit of work to compile and get it to run which made me change my alternative because I was out of time, but now that is finished, I've gone back to your code and think it is quite a nice solution. I can see that there hasn't been much updates happening lately, so I was wondering how I may contribute to help improving this project. Please let me know how I can get involved.

Hi Carlos,
        Thanks for your proposal.

        The first thing you can do is to use the mailing list at http://cool.haxx.se/mailman/listinfo/curl-library (archive at http://curl.haxx.se/mail/list.cgi?list=curl-library) after having read http://curl.haxx.se/mail/etiquette.html, for any communication about this library: I'm subscribed to this list and so are members of an important community of libcurl users/developers... People there are in fact more involved than me in this library.

        Next, please note I am NOT a java programmer, and the only small work I did on this binding was motivated by some local user requesting support. I do NOT speak java and I hardly understand it.

        As far as I know (but I may be wrong), the libcurl java binding has been initially designed by Daniel Stenberg, and more recently (well, not so recently as you have noted!) updated by me and Günter Knauf (Günter also hosts the svn repository at http://www.gknw.net/viewvc/trunk/?root=curl-java).

        There is currently no real guru for the Java binding and I'm quite certain the community needs one. So yes, I'm sure you can help: for example, post your patches/questions/suggestions/bug reports/etc to the above mailing list and you certainly will get a reaction :-)

        I cross-post this answer to the mailing list.

Cheers,
Patrick