Re: ANNOUNCE: curl and libcurl 7.21.1

From: Vincent Torri <vincent.torri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 07:43:28 +0200

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 12:49 AM, Guenter <lists_at_gknw.net> wrote:

> Am 11.08.2010 23:50, schrieb Daniel Stenberg:
>
>> Hello friends,
>>
>> I'm glad to yet again announce another release. curl and libcurl 7.21.1
>> was uploaded just a short while ago. Get it as usual from:
>>
>> http://curl.haxx.se/
>>
> I've tried hard the last two days to fully automate my Win32 and NetWare
> release builds, and especially for the NetWare builds that was really tricky
> since I wanted to get the 'curl -V' output into a build.txt file while the
> whole build process is a cross compile on Win32 (or Linux) - in any case
> though not in NetWare itself where the curl binary needs to run in order to
> produce the output ...
> Anyway, I succeeded finally, and now I can build all release archives
> including checksums within 3 mins! Horray!

is it so difficult ? I remembered that i compiled libcurl without difficulty
with MSYS/MinGW on Windows or with the mingw cross toolchain on Linux (3
months ago). I used a small shell script for that.

> Since the release builds are no longer a pain for me I've added now also a
> non-ssl Win32 build:
> http://www.gknw.net/mirror/curl/win32/?P=curl-7.21.1-sspi*
> and these are all current Win32 builds:
> http://www.gknw.net/mirror/curl/win32/?P=curl-7.21.1-*

I have some questions:

1) Can you add a README_WIN32.txt file which specifies which compiler flags
you used for these builds ?

2) Would it be possible to have a file in
http://www.gknw.net/mirror/curl/win32/?P=curl-7.21.1-* or in the tarball
which explains the naming convention of the tarballs. Like
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_43_0/more/getting_started/windows.html#library-naming
or
ftp://sourceware.org/pub/pthreads-win32/README (library naming section)

3) Can you put the libcurl.pc file in lib/pkgconfig. That's where it should
be by default

4) Would it also be possible to add a version of libcurl built with c-ares (
http://c-ares.haxx.se/) ? We would like to use libcurl with c-ares, and this
would avoid me to build c-ares and libcurl myself.

thank you for your work !

Vincent