Fwd: Re: [MVS-OE] help on curl EBCDIC support compilation

From: Poirier Xavier <x.poirier_at_laposte.fr>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 09:10:35 +0200

 Hi,

Here is a thread coming from an "IBM Mailing List" for understanding my
problem,

is there someone here that can help me finding a solution ?

great work
have a nice day
Xavier

-------- Message original --------
Sujet: Re: [MVS-OE] help on curl EBCDIC support compilation

Répondre à : MVS OpenEdition <MVS-OE_at_VM.MARIST.EDU>
Pour : MVS-OE_at_VM.MARIST.EDU

On Aug 17, 2010, at 08:06, Poirier Xavier wrote:

> We really need help on compiling opensource curl package
> into a newer version (7.20) onto the z/os system,
> we are missing the source for EBCDIC support as IBM as written
> it to do the compilation.
>
> is there a reason for IBM not to distribute the source file for EBCDIC
> support/compilation of curl as far as curl is opensource software ?
> or anyone can help me to obtain any information on source code to
> add/modify ?

My understanding is that IBM distributes as Ported Tools
only software whose source was available under an Apache-
or BSD-like license which does not require that the
modified source be made available.

I guess they don't want people running their code on Hercules,
Fujitsu, or Siemens.

It's sort of like taking pennies out of the penny dish by
the cash register and never putting any in.

--gil

Xavier --

The porting efforts are fueled and funded by various sources. I see
that GIl addressed that which is specifically supported by IBM (or
not). Are you in touch with the owners of the curl package? Maybe
they know if there is an official EBCDIC support function or perhaps
know the names of people who can help.

Recently, Greg Smith mentioned his own work, on this very list,
regarding porting BASH and XTERM.

For my part, I have an old curl work-alike (which pre-dates my
knowledge of curl) which has ASCII/EBCDIC toleration built in. It was
not difficult. (But then, in that case, I controlled the whole thing,
so I knew the source.) Might be a little time consuming.

-- R; <><

For MVS-OE subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions,
send email to LISTSERV_at_VM.MARIST.EDU with the message: INFO MVS-OE

Post-scriptum La Poste

Ce message est confidentiel. Sous reserve de tout accord conclu par
ecrit entre vous et La Poste, son contenu ne represente en aucun cas un
engagement de la part de La Poste. Toute publication, utilisation ou
diffusion, meme partielle, doit etre autorisee prealablement. Si vous
n'etes pas destinataire de ce message, merci d'en avertir immediatement
l'expediteur.