Re: libcurl + libevent2: Stalling if no data is received/written

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 23:21:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010, Bas Verhoeven wrote:

>> But you need curl >=7.21.1 which fixed the famous bug 62.
>>
> I tried that but not much seems to change. I'm running "libcurl/7.21.1
> OpenSSL/0.9.8g zlib/1.2.3.3 c-ares/1.5.2 libidn/1.8 libssh2/0.18", freshly
> compiled from source.

(Let me just mention that your libssh2 version is very old and I'd recommend
an upgrade if you're gonna play with SSH-based protocols.)

Right, the dreaded bug #62 was still present in 7.21.1 and was actually just
fixed in git.

Since that change is rather new, we of course would love to get feedback and
reports on how it actually performs!

> No matter what I try tho, it seems to keep the connection open still, even
> tho no data has been received for more than 5 seconds.

... right, but nothing prevents you from using your own timer and just remove
the handle from the multi handle whenever you think it is suitable. Like if
there's no action within a certain amount of time.

I think the relatively easy work-around is the primary reason why bug #62
lingered around for so long before we fixed it.