A question about the default LIST after USER, PASS

From: Mehmet Bozkurt <mehmet.bozkurt_at_xware.se>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 09:04:21 +0200

Hello!

I have a question about the initial LIST that is performed when connecting
to an FTP server.
The LIST command being performed is not a big problem, I just want to avoid
unnecessary data transfers
and in this particular scenario I just want to establish a connection to the
server, which I later can re-use and do
whatever FTP commands.

This is the verbose output from libcurl:

* About to connect() to localhost port 21 (#0)
* Trying 127.0.0.1... * connected
* Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1) port 21 (#0)
< 220 FileZilla Server version 0.9.36 beta
> USER ftpdbg
< 331 Password required for ftpdbg
> PASS ******
< 230 Logged on
> PWD
< 257 "/" is current directory.
* Entry path is '/'
> EPSV
* Connect data stream passively
< 229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||3705|)
* Trying 127.0.0.1... * connected
* Connecting to 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1) port 3705
> TYPE A
< 200 Type set to A
> LIST <------------------------- This is what I am
asking about
< 150 Connection accepted

As I understand this will be performed if a server URL ends with '/'.
However, the URL I provide to libcurl is "ftp://localhost", not ending with
'/'
I'm guessing that the statement "Entry path is '/'" could be reason that the
lib thinks
that the current path ends with '/'. This is not a huge problem, I disable
the data callback with
CURLOPT_NOBODY=1.

Is there any other way of preventing this initial LIST?

Best regards,
Mehmet.

P.S This is my first post on a mailing list such as this and if I'm not
adhering to mail etiquette or
if this is'nt the right forum for my question, please correct me.