Re: DNS lookup failure

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 23:39:15 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Jogeshwar Karthik Akundi wrote:

> we connect to our https server from our client. We keep getting DNS lookup
> failures when attempting. The following is the information:
>
> CURL: 7.20
> OS: windows and mac
> Using dns: 8.8.8.8
> Connection type: HTTPS
> Proxy: None

Given that both the windows and mac versions fail, I would say that something
is not right in your network surroundings, or the 8.8.8.8 DNS server is
unreliable (which would surprise me).

> is there anything we can do about it from inside our application?

No.

> would retries help?

Possibly. But I would recommend you track down the problem and fix it rather
than trying work-arounds.

Fire up wireshark or similar and check out how the DNS traffic is doing. If
that is fine, then strace (or similar) the system calls involved in the
resolving and see what goes wrong.