Re: Cross-compiling libcurl x86 on Linux x64

From: Tom Edwards <t_edwards_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 01:52:50 +0100

  On 18/09/2010 10:37, Daniel Egger wrote:
> Depends what the target really is. We're using the same rule both for
> "host"
> compiles, meaning it's not actually cross compiled; in this case this will be
> the regular compiler. In non-"host" compiles where we have a real
> crosscompilation to different architectures this may either resolve to the real
> crosscompiler or to a wrapper script modifying some linking etc. options for
> a custom libc.
>
> I'm not exactly sure what you're trying here or why it doesn't work but I'm
> quite certain that a real crosscompilation from x86_64 to x86 does work if
> you'd be using a real crosscompiler (or simply the x86 version which should
> run just fine in 32bit mode) rather doing a fake crosscompilation with special
> compiler options.
>
> Servus,
> Daniel

I gave in, grabbed an x86 distro, built libcurl in 32 bits from the CD,
and that has bypassed the whole problem. I'd be interested to hear of
anyone who has actually built in 32bits on x64 arch...I can't find any
discussion online, but then again the need to do this kind of job at all
is rare in the Linux domain.

Even if this "real cross-comp" you're talking about is the ultimate
solution, -m32 really ought to work as well!