Re: [Patch] Rewrite of security.c?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:17:34 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Julien Chaffraix wrote:

> OK, I managed to install a krb5+ftp server and tried cURL on it. It looks
> like the feature was broken even before my changes (I suspect a change in
> late 2009 but I did not bisect). This means that our coverage is inexistent
> (sorry for pushing untested changes I should have seen that! :-/).

I was a afraid that was the case. The krb5/gss stuff is generally not tested
and not widely used so when we change things we easily break that and don't
get to know about it until long afterwards.

> Is there some documentation about how to integrate new features into our
> test harness?

I don't think we have anything particular written on how to add new things to
test. The basic premise is that the tests run against a test server that
outputs data and that stores the entire protocol "conversation" and when the
test shot is complete the runtests script verifies that it got the correct
data and that the protocol dump looks correct. It additionally also checks for
memory leaks using the internal memory leak tool and/or valgrind.

If you give it a look and get stuck on some details, please just ask specific
questions and I'll try to answer them. We could also take this opportunity and
start producing a document for "how to add new stuff to the test suite"...

> (I really would like to see the code tested to prevent further regressions -
> including memory leaks)

That would indeed be great yes!

> I have fixed my changes and made ftp + krb5-gssapi work again. Attached are
> the several changes needed to get everything working again.

Great. As I don't have a test server/system setup for ths and you do, I'd say
you are in the better position to judge these changes and I'll happily allow
you to commit and push these changes yourself to the git repo.