Re: configure and libidn

From: Julien Chaffraix <julien.chaffraix_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 14:58:25 -0700

Hey,

> I configured libcurl --with-libidn. As I am cross compiling I hadn't make install'ed libidn.
>
> libcurls configure script found the libidn.so but not the header files, however the report said that libidn support was enabled and configure completed successfully.
>
> It was only after creating an install package and transferring to the target platform I could do a curl -V and see that IDN was not listed.

I tried to reproduce the issue. However I could not find a way (tried
several combination of cross- and non-cross-compilation as well as
--with-libidn parameters). Also looking at the code, I did not see any
flaws that could explain this misbehaviour. Could you share how we
could reproduce the bug?

My testing and understanding of the code is that we try to compile a
sample program every time you set --with-libidn and if the compilation
fails (for example, if we did not pick up the headers), we just
disable the feature. Maybe this could explain why curl was not
compiled with IDN support.

> I've made the build now but I wanted to let you guys know that this should probably be considered a bug in the configure set up.

It looks like one for sure!

Thanks,
Julien