Problems with Windows Binaries

From: David Graf <david.graf_at_28msec.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 21:12:06 +0200

Hello

I have two problems with the Windows binaries for Visual Studio with SSL support. I used to link my project agains the package libcurl-7.15.1-msvc-win32-ssl-0.9.8a-zlib-1.2.3. That worked perfectly. But this package is quite old and not available anymore on the download page http://curl.haxx.se/download.html. Therefore, I tried to link the package against something that is available. But unfortunately, I discovered the following problems:

1)
A dll seems to be missing in the package http://curl.haxx.se/download/libcurl-7.19.3-win32-ssl-msvc.zip. If I link this library agains my project, Windows tells me that libsasl.dll is missing.

2)
Because of problem (1), I tried to compile curl with ssl myself. I followed the instruction at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/197444/building-libcurl-with-ssl-support-on-windows. Everything went well. I could link my project agains the .lib files and execute it with the generated dll file. But the execution was unbelievable slow. 5x slower that with the 7.15.1 package. Something is wrong with openssl. If I compile curl without ssl, the speed is ok. Does someone know to fix this problem?

Regards
David Graf