Re: Want to contribute SMTP AUTH configuration

From: Adam Kellas <Adam.Kellas_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 19:17:58 -0400

On 10/15/2010 8:14 AM, Michael Wood wrote:
> The only time I tried using OpenSSL on an embedded device, OpenSSL
> took up about 2MB of the 4MB flash! But of course embedded does not
> necessarily mean small. And "small" is also a relative term.

I don't work in embedded environments and I haven't used OpenSSL much so
everything I say is pretty speculative. But it seems to me that people
should consider, if they haven't already, linking statically with OpenSSL.

In a multi-user/multi-app environment a shared library makes sense
because it's, well, shared. But it also means you need (at least) one
complete copy of the library on disk. In an embedded
single-user/single-app setup, linking statically means that in the very
worst case your binary will grow by the full size of the OpenSSL
libraries; thus you'll be no worse off in disk space and will see a
small improvement in startup time. More likely you'll only need some
fraction of OpenSSL and would get both size and speed advantages.

AK