Need to build libcurl(libcurl.so) with a different library name(libxxx_curl.so)

From: Parthasarathi Ilangovan <rajajiitesh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 14:12:14 +0530

Hello,

  We are trying to package the default libcurl.so library for our
organization with a different name libxxx_curl.so(to avoid conflict) . There
are no changes made to the source.
Renaming the default libcurl.so.4 into libxxx_curl.so and linking does not
work because after installation the binaries still show dependency to the
orginal libcurl.so.
I am guessing due to the fact that the so name is hardcoded in the library
ELF format.

What would be the right way to build libcurl source to libcurl_xxx.so ? This
library is being delivered along with our application in a single package.
Is there any configure switches we can use?

The platform is Linux(Both RH and Suse).

Thanks and Regards,
Partha