Re: SMTP authentication fails

From: Amr Oreaba <oreaba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 12:42:39 +0200

No, there isn't such an option in the official release now. But someone
asked questions on how to do it some weeks ago. Perhaps he did it in a
customized version. See http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2010-10/0077.html.
Perhaps this kind of problems can justify we implement such an option.
Daniel ?
The preference order of authentication mechanisms in SMTP is arbitrary
(defined by code test order). However I decided to prefer CRAM-MD5 over
PLAIN or LOGIN because it does not transmit the password itself, thus
being more secure.

#1 I understand your point of view but as you say some servers wrongly
publish their authentication, so i think it will be quite useful to
have a parameter to force certain authentication mechanism or else use
the library choice if it is not set. what do you think?

So this is normal since you established it's a server misconfiguration.
In any case, the best way to fix it is to properly configure the server
(or ask the ISP to do so!)

#2not all ISPs allow this , I still think its better to adjust our
ways to them for the library to be general as #1

And please, use different threads for different questions: a single mail
containing 3 different subjects is hard to handle. Thanks.

#3 sorry i will send the other issue in another mail.