"Unknown SSL protocol" when accessing server from AIX host

From: Alona Rossen <arossen_at_opentext.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 16:18:35 -0500

We use openssl with libcurl to programmatically access, upload to and
download from various URL's using https, ftps, and smtps protocols. We
can successfully perform our tasks on UNIX/Linux and Windows boxes,
including Solaris on SPARC and Intel, Linux, etc. However, we
consistently receive the following type of error message when we attempt
to access SSL URL from our AIX5.3 and AIX6.1 boxes:

INFO_TEXT:

SSLv3, TLS handshake, Client hello (1):

INFO_TEXT:

Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to smtp.gmail.com:587

We use OpenSSL 0.9.8e and 0.9.8p. We use libcurl 7.21.0.

We have verified that correct installation of OpenSSL is being used.

Please advise.

Thank you,

Alona