Re: core dump when running with Purify tool

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:06:06 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010, hari r wrote:

> I am using Curl library (libcurl.so.4) interface for Http get request,
> sending HTTP request to HPOCMP server but client application is giving core
> dump when i run by using purify tool .

Which exact libcurl version? And you seem to run a tool named 'curl_linux', is
that the "plain" curl tool or something you wrote?

> With out Purify, client application running fine and not giving any code
> dump.

Does valgrind identify any problems?

> Kindly share/suggest how to solve this issue and below is the purify output,

For starters, you should use the curl-library mailing list for this discussion
as that's where all the libcurl hackers hang out. This list is for the curl
command line tool.

I've started off by CC'ing this reply to curl-library so that we can
transition there easily.

> * This is occurring while in thread 1161:
> curl_maprintf [libcurl.so.4]
> create_hostcache_id [libcurl.so.4]
> Curl_resolv [libcurl.so.4]
> Curl_resolv_timeout [libcurl.so.4]
> Curl_connect [libcurl.so.4]
> Curl_do_perform [libcurl.so.4]

Can you get purify to break on that failure and get it to put your debugger on
the offending code? create_hostcache_id() calls curl_maprintf() but that's A)
a function that does a lot and B) haven't been modified in a very long time.

I don't see why Purify would find a problem in there all of a sudden. (I'm
not saying there can't be any bug, I just don't see it...)