Automatic retry with server errors

From: Johan van Selst <johans_at_stack.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 12:07:39 +0100

Greetings,

I'm using libcurl in an environment with DNS load-balanced webservers.
When the application cannot connect to a specific server, curl will
automatically try to connect to the next IP address for this server.
This is really useful.

However, it would be nice if libcurl could also connect automatically to
the next server if it gets an SSL authentication failure or an HTTP 500
error code (i.e. one of the server is borked). I could write code to
handle this event in my application, but since DNS is handled by curl,
and curl is used by many applications, it makes sense to implement this
feature directly in curl.

Do people have suggestions on how to handle this? And would you be
willing to accept a patch in curl if I wrote something that does this?
(assuming the code itself would be sensible).

Regards,
Johan