Re: alternative VC Makefiles

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 15:06:32 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010, Vincent Torri wrote:

> cmake is not an option for me: horrible syntax, no 'help' option like
> configure, cross compilation is a real pain. I can't understand why people
> like it. It's a matter of taster though and I just give my point of view
> about cmake. Others like it, it seems.

libcurl's cmake support is also flaky, at best, and I was told the other day
that it is broken again. We simply don't have anyone around closely enough to
maintain the cmake build at a good quality.

> It's not a matter of what you use and do, it's a matter of most of Windows
> developers use. And most of them will not use a Makefile. On the contrary,
> most of them will use Visual Studio.

Yes, but we have people that know makefiles and even if the MSVC makefile is a
bit different it is still make as we all understand it. The project files are
weirdo XML things that we need to generate. Can we even generate good enough
project files with different options for what users may want to toggle in
their configurations?