Re: alternative VC Makefiles

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:30:16 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010, Vincent Torri wrote:

> Also, what is the interest of having several build systems for a library ?
> The autotools provide a tarball with a shell script which can be used
> anywhere. It is sufficient.

There was a pretty vocal group of people advocating for cmake for a very long
time. I finally gave in when they provided build scripts that were
sufficiently up-to-date and fine to build most of curl and libcurl like we do
with the autotools.

We build curl and libcurl using MANY different scripts and tools, for *nix,
different windows-solutions, amiga, netware, DOS, AS/400, TPF and more. What's
one more build in all this to argue about?

Unfortunately the cmake enthusiasts are far fewer around here than us who just
get along with the autotools, so the cmake support isn't kept as tidy and
fine.

I will however let the cmake stuff remain a while longer to allow those who
like cmake to get back in the game and make the scripts keep up. They don't do
a lot of harm. I don't want stuff just go in and out like crazy.

Anyway, we were talking about VC project files...