Long URLs (up to 1000 characters) - should I worry?

From: Felix E. Klee <felix.klee_at_inka.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 11:39:02 +0100

I am currently adding a new web-service as a data-source for our
application. The current web-services are queried simply by GETing a
simple and short URL with a short query string.

The new web-service, though, requires sending the request XML encoded,
and in a strange way: The XML is the content of a parameter called
"xml". The demo application provided by the web-service provider uses
POST to send the request. However, implementing POST requests would
require a major redesign of our current application. So, I tried if I
can send the request via GET. And, I'm lucky: It works!

That GET URL looks like this, and it will *always* be below 1000
characters:

  http://xml.example.com/?xml=%3C%3Fxml+version...

The client is always "libcurl" and the server is also clearly defined.

So, I shouldn't be worried about the long URL - right?