Re: The future of the project

From: Dirk Manske <dm_at_nonitor.de>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 21:39:38 +0100

Hi mission leader.

> Lots of me and my company there. Is this possibly a burden for the project?
No, really not. And thanks for continuing.

No (public) fork of curl exists, so I guess people are happy
with the current state.

> B - The Software Freedom Conservancy is a US organization and I know there
> have been concerns expressed in the past about putting (too much) project
> materials and "weight" in the US
Indeed. All important infrastructure or organisations are in US e.g.
sourceforge, githup, google code, fsf, icann, w3c ...

And the US have some strange/discriminating export laws about cryptography,
curl bundled with SLL could made some trouble. So IMHO it's a good decision
to stay in Sweden.

If I can help with infrastructure backup or external server monitoring
please let me know.

> So, I think we can just keep things as they are and move along. This said, I
> want to stress that I am *always* open for criticism, ideas and feedback on
> what we can do to improve, to change, to fix or whatever in order to run this
> project smoother.
Maybe you could improve the subscription form with additional check boxes:

[ ] I'll read the FAQ and KNOWN_BUGS before I send a question.
[ ] Before I complain that curl is broken, I will try with the current version.
[ ] I know what top posting is and why it's so *evil* that I'll never do.
[ ] I know how to configure my MUA not to send HTML mails.

Just kidding.

Dirk