Re: A library-agnostic TLS API?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:33:36 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Howard Chu wrote:

> IMO, freedom of choice is only valid when all the choices are of equal
> technical merit, reducing the choice to just personal taste. There may be a
> multitude of TLS libraries, but they are definitely not equivalent in
> technical merit.

As I see things, the existing libraries all provide different features and
reasons for selecting or deselecting them. They are all different in many
aspects, which I think is the reason we have support for this many right now.

People who build and use libcurl with a SSL-based protocol might ask
themselves among other questions:

Is a particular feature important? Is a particular license important? Is a
particular certification important? Is the binary size important? Do you need
smart cart support? Do you need to support a particular SSL/TLS version? Do
you need to run it on a particular OS?

Also, we know LOTS of other tools and libraries out there already support
selecting one or another library so it is a fairly common thing to do...