Re: Which timeout expired? CURLOPT_TIMEOUT or CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:32:11 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Mykyta Dorokhin wrote:

> It would be great if I could have:
>
> Message failed. Connect timeout (30 sec).
> Message failed. Request timeout (45 sec).
>
> Do you agree? I think this is more user-friendly.

In your particular use case and mindset it might be.

Others who try to connect to a host that doesn't respond (timely) will
appreciate that it says "couldn't connect" as that it the effect rather than
"connect timeout". Especially when they didn't ask for a timeout...

What's the most "user-friendly" is very subjective.

Since this is how libcurl already works and have been working since the dawn
of times, I'm not very eager to start changing the return codes. But if you
feel this is important I suggest you look into how much work it is and you
start doing it and we'll see how large impact on the code it will cause and if
we can go ahead with such a change.