Re: Building cURL with the -g compiler option

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:30:51 -0800

On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 03:15:40PM -0500, Saqib Ali wrote:
> I'm trying to build cURLwith the -g compiler option for enhanced debugging.
> cc's man page says that compiling with -g produces additional symbol table
> information for dbx.
>
> But I'm not sure how to do build cURL with the -g flag. I'm on Solaris machine
> running SunOS 5.10. Trying to build Curl 7.21.3
>
> This is what I attempted: I set the environment variable CFLAGS=-g, then ran
> configure (which completed), then  did make. But the compilation of the files
> doesn't include the -g flag as I had expected. It looks the same as it did
> without the CFLAGS environment variable set. Here is an example of a file being
> compiled:

Theoretically, that should have worked (did you export that
variable?). But curl has some autoconf macros (in m4/curl-compilers.m4)
that try to detect the compiler being used and play with some of the
flags, including the debug flag. If the compiler is supported (and
Solaris appears to be) the giving the --enable-debug configure option
should be enough to have -g added automatically.

>>> Dan