Re: CURLPROXY_HTTP_1_0 does not affect protocol version (still HTTP/1.1)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:45:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011, tetetest tetetest wrote:

> May I ask why proxy tunnel is a separate curl option? For me, it is more
> like a separate kind of proxy. Currently, you can set the proxy type to,
> say, SOCKS5, and at the same time set CURLOPT_HTTPPROXYTUNNEL to 1. But
> tunnels are only working with HTTP proxies, so this does not make sense. You
> cannot set a tunnel without setting the proxy type to HTTP - these options
> complement each other. So why not introduce some "httptunnel" type of proxy,
> and make CURLOPT_HTTPPROXYTUNNEL unnecessary?

I agree completely with your reasoning and logic.

As to why it ended up like this: I don't think anyone (like me for example)
stopped to think properly if "a tunneling proxy" should be a new dedicated
proxy type rather than telling how to use an otherwise setup HTTP proxy.

If we should make it a new proxy type now? Is it really worth the bother? I
mean existing apps already use it like this and we need to support the current
approach until we break the ABI (years in the future) anyway. The question is
then if we gain anything by introducing a second way, albeit possibly somewhat
more logical.