Re: documenting unit tests for functions

From: Amr Shahin <amrnablus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 15:32:04 +0300

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 7:46 PM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 May 2011, Amr Shahin wrote:
>
> I'm back to adding unit tests for curl, and i think there should be an
>> easy way for contributors to know whether a test is implemented for a
>> certain function, what i have in mind is to add a comment looking pretty
>> much like this:
>>
>> /* unit-tested
>>
>> * @file unit1300.c
>>
>> * @line 147
>>
>> * */
>>

> I think this is a good idea. I would however prefer it to be a more compact
> more easily machine-parsed format, like perhaps:
>
> /*
> * @unit-test: 1300
> */
>
> ... without reference to exact line number since that is doomed to change
> over time, and unit-tests should preferably be focused on a single function
> in each test anyway.
>

> I was wondering if it's best to add this to the .h file or the .c file
>>

> I say the .c file since we might end up with tests even for static
> functions that have no prototypes in .h files.
>
> --
>
> / daniel.haxx.se

I agree with no mentioning the line number, however we could use a more
formal way by assigning a test-case-id to each function we test, it will
look something like this:
unit1300.c:
/**
* @startTestCase: 1300-1
**/
/**
* @endTestCase 1300-1
**/

llist.c:
/**
* @unit-test(ed?)
* @testCase: 1300-1
**/

this will make tests easy to find, especially if the developer only wants to
take a look at the test to see what assumptions are made or how to call a
certain API.

*Amr*