Re: Questions about timeout during transfer

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 22:23:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 26 May 2011, Saqib Ali wrote:

> Ok. Thanks for the explanation. You may wish to update this URL:
> http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/curl_easy_setopt.html#CURLOPTLOWSPEEDTIME.
> They indicate that the timeout will occur when the transmission falls below
> a certain speed for a fixed amount of time. That is technically inaccurate.
> It might be good to mention the averaging.

I'm not so sure I agree it is inaccurate.

The question of what a transmission speed is, is not an exact and well
specified science. To figure out how fast the transfer is right now certain
calculations has to be done. I would claim that it is important that libcurl
takes a certain amount of samples into acount to establish what the speed is
at any given time.

Of course we can always argue about what the specific method should be, and
then there's also a risk that libcurl actually does it wrong now (a bug).