Re: Infinite loop in Curl_splay

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 14:29:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011, Christian Hägele wrote:

> I have a problem within the libCurl multi interface. It happened that a call
> to curl_multi_socket_action stuck in an infinite loop in Curl_splay. I
> couldn't reproduce the issue, but I have a Dump of our application (in
> production) where this issue occured.

What libcurl version on which operating system? And how can we go ahead to
repeat the problem with the latest libcurl?

> found: http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2006-05/0082.html
>
> The problem described there is the exactly same as we encounter right now.
> The multi->timetree->smaller is the same as multi->timetree->larger which
> happens to end up in the infinite loop.
>
> My question is if the problem described in the link above is resolved by
> now? The above thread did not show a resolution...

Right, and as the reporter unfortunately vanished and I never managed to
repeat the problem I can't tell if the problem ever existed (ie perhaps all we
say was a user error), if it existed and has been fixed or if there exists an
actual bug left in the code.

The splay code has not changed much the last five years.