POST, 100 continue, and 404

From: Steven Parkes <smparkes_at_smparkes.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:01:41 -0700

I'm seeing something I don't understand:

I'm doing an HTTP/1.1 POST that's generating an Expect: 100-continue to nginx/1.0.0. When server successfully reads and processes the request, everything works fine.

However, sometimes the server responds with a 404 before it ever asks for the body. (This is the expected result). In this case libcurl is not sending the body. And I think it should?

What I'm seeing is that nginx sees a bad request on the next request. The server isn't disconnecting so the next request goes over the same connection. I'm pretty sure nginx thinks the first part of the next request is the body from the earlier, failed request (based on the RFC language that says it may close the connection or may read and discard the body.) But libcurl didn't send the body (it didn't ask my code for the body ...)

I looked through the mailing list and saw something related to auth, NTLM, and 100-continue from a long time ago, but nothing that looked more relevant or recent.

Anything obvious stand out to anyone?

I'm testing on OS X with both 7.21.7 and master.