Re: HTTPS proxy tunnel

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 23:24:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Shiran Z wrote:

> The current implementation of the libcurl proxy creates an HTTP (non-secure)
> tunnel on the proxy, and then a secure connection between the source and the
> target within this tunnel.

> I need to use the exact opposite, a secure connection to the proxy (secure
> tunnel), and a non-secure connection to the target.
>
> I wonder if someone had implemented this before, and if not does anyone have
> something interesting to share before I implement it.

I've heard about this idea becoming popular recently; to connect to the proxy
using HTTPS but so far libcurl doesn't support it.

To implement code for this, we just need to properly make sure that all
internals can deal with potentially two layers of SSL so that we can do HTTPS
over a proxy that we speak HTTPS with. We probably also need to come up with a
decent way to allow SSL specific options to be separately set for the two
connections.

Of course we need to make sure that our test setup can be used for this so
that we can write up a bunch of test cases.