Re: github and side by side diffs

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 19:23:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011, Yang Tse wrote:

> Given that github has no side by side diff functionality and gitorious does,
> would it be possible to setup a read-only gitorious repo that pulled
> github's repo in a timely manner?

Sure, I assume that should indeed be possible. I think the biggest issue is
how to deal with the SSH stuff as gitourious also uses ssh for that, so it
isn't that easy to just run a pull and then push automatically.

I guess I should setup a gitorious account with a ssh key without password to
make it work nicely.

> I really miss online side by side diff capability, and dislike needing
> multiple instances of same git repo and needing kdiff3 in order to properly
> view side by side diffs even for the most simple changes.

Locally you can do it with a custom diff tool like for example:

  $ git difftool --tool=meld HEAD~1..HEAD

> I don't care if it is gitorious or whatever. What I would like is the
> ability to view side by side diffs _online_.

It seems git's own web front-end also doesn't offer this, so it's not easily
self-hosted for our mirror either.