Re: Curl Issue with ftp protocol

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 01:11:29 -0700

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 12:20:32PM +0530, Sumukh Anantha Manohar wrote:
> I am trying to run a curl command on Unix machine using ftp protocol. Curl's
> version is curl 7.21.7 (sparc-sun-solaris2.10).
> Here i am trying to download a file from linux(ubuntu) to unix macine using a
> curl command.
> I am getting the error as curl: (28) FTP response timeout after downloading the
> entire file. Actually it is able to download the file completely but at the end
> i am getting this error.
> Here what i observed was, if the download operation takes less than 60 seconds,
> i am not getting this error, but if the operation takes more than 60 sec, then
> i am getting this error.

It sounds like there's a firewall with an aggressive timeout between this
system and the remote. The ftp's control channel is idle during a download,
so a stateful firewall could assume it is no longer in use and prevent any
further communication on that port. Most other protocols just a single
connection which is kept alive by the downloaded data itself, so they
wouldn't be affected by such a firewall. Try setting the --keepalive-time
option to something less than 60 seconds and see if that makes a
difference.

>>> Dan