Re: Curl Issue with ftp protocol

From: Arun venkatesh <arun.madupu_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 14:19:19 +0530

though i havent encountered this problem yet, but still curious to knw
if curl have a mechanism to trigger keep alives on control channel? if
yes pls let me knw how ths can be achieved by using libcurl..

--Arun

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 1:41 PM, Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 12:20:32PM +0530, Sumukh Anantha Manohar wrote:
>> I am trying to run a curl command on Unix machine using ftp protocol. Curl's
>> version is curl 7.21.7 (sparc-sun-solaris2.10).
>> Here i am trying to download a file from linux(ubuntu) to unix macine using a
>> curl command.
>> I am getting the error as curl: (28) FTP response timeout after downloading the
>> entire file. Actually it is able to download the file completely but at the end
>> i am getting this error.
>> Here what i observed was, if the download operation takes less than 60 seconds,
>> i am not getting this error, but if the operation takes more than 60 sec, then
>> i am getting this error.
>
> It sounds like there's a firewall with an aggressive timeout between this
> system and the remote.  The ftp's control channel is idle during a download,
> so a stateful firewall could assume it is no longer in use and prevent any
> further communication on that port. Most other protocols just a single
> connection which is kept alive by the downloaded data itself, so they
> wouldn't be affected by such a firewall. Try setting the --keepalive-time
> option to something less than 60 seconds and see if that makes a
> difference.

Apologizing doesn't mean that you are wrong and the other person is
right. It only means that you value the relationship much more than
your EGO