Re: Generic authentication error code

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:58:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2011, Yang Tse wrote:

> Which CURLcode would be more appropriate to use as a generic indication of
> an NTLM failure due to a bad handshake, (CURLE_REMOTE_ACCESS_DENIED "Access
> denied to remote resource") or (CURLE_LOGIN_DENIED "Login denied")?

I would say that if it is a HTTP NTLM authentication that fails,
CURLE_REMOTE_ACCESS_DENIED seems suitable but if it is a SMTP login that
fails, CURLE_LOGIN_DENIED seems more applicable.

> Or, given that CURLcode(s) are cheap could we have a new one such as
> (CURLE_AUTH_ERROR "Failed to authenticate"), that would also serve other
> authentication schemes?

Yes new codes are cheap, sure, but for applications it is often easier with
less codes with minor differences. Especially it is easier to not have to add
new codes to handle when they upgrade libcurl...

In this case I don't think the existing ones are so bad that we need a new
code. The ones we already have seem to cover the cases good enough IMHO.

Or am I missing something?