Re: Are timeouts on Easy handles respected in Multi?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:24:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011, Martin Lemke wrote:

> I found some older references that timeouts defined for an Easy handle are
> not respected when it is added to a Multi (bug ID 2501457). I have 7.21.3
> and it seems that this bug is still there - setting timeout, connect timeout
> options on an Easy handle have no effect in Multi.

The main bug for that was fixed in 7.21.2, but there have also been a series
of other timeout related bugs that have been fixed since.

We also cannot rule out that you've found another bug.

> My application is simple, it is using curl_multi_perform and select. What I
> currently do is I track the time usage myself and set the "select" timeout
> respectively. However when a connect is hung, there is apparently no
> indication of it, - which is probably for a reason, for no activity happens
> on a socket, - so select doesn't return and keeps waiting. I mean, there is
> no indication of the CONNECTTIMEOUT option having any effect when I call
> select.

First, can you see if the latest version still shows the same problem?

Then if it does, can you please provide us a source code and a recipe on how
to repeat it?

> Is it my misunderstanding of the API or the problem is still there?

The timeout options are supposed to work.