Re: examples compiler warnings

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 14:07:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, John P. Hartmann wrote:

> However, if I were to look at such a doctored sample as a sample of doing a
> particular library function, this macro would get in the way and might make
> me conclude that this library isn't quite what I am looking for.

That's kind of what I'm thinking as well. The examples need to remain simple
and the focus needs to be on the libcurl API. We should not bend over
backwards only to fix compiler warnings in irrelevant code sections.

In fact, that's also why we don't do proper error checking etc in most of the
examples, even though of course we of course encourage all users to do that in
real life.

> It might even be possible to have a generic set of samples from which one
> can mechanically generate samples that cope with the idiosyncrasies of the
> various platforms. (E.g., generate the appropriate %l or %d from %zd.)

I've toyed with that idea as well in my head, but it would force us to
introduce a new format to write the examples in to generate the example source
code from (and then still risk that a fair share of users will end up always
looking at the wrong version of the examples). Right now I don't think a bunch
of warnings is reason enough to make us cross that bridge.