Re: What are consequences of late curl_multi_perform call

From: Rich Gray <rgray_at_plustechnologies.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 11:10:54 -0400

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, Rich Gray wrote:
>
>> "Before version 7.20.0: If you receive CURLM_CALL_MULTI_PERFORM, this
>> basically means that you should call curl_multi_perform again, before
>> you select() on more actions.
>> I'm trying to figure out what this really means.
>
> If you use a recent libcurl I think you should ignore the entire
> paragraph! It is basically trying to describe how to act when
> CURLM_CALL_MULTI_PERFORM is returned, and that return code is never
> used in modern libcurl versions.
Ah, I hadn't picked up that it was an obsolete return code. I'll try to
come up with some text for the man page and any other spots. For today,
I need to get the multi code working. ;) I've already coded a simple
test using the easy interface.
> For program timing, my select() timevals are always a second or less.
> So, if I can guarantee that 'perform will be called at least once a
> second, do I need to even mess with getting the timeout value from
> libcurl?
>
> No, then you'll be fine! Unless of course if you for some reason aim
> for sub-second resolution on timouts set to libcurl, but I think you
> figured that out already! =)
Nah, my timeouts will probably be on the order of 10s of seconds,
probably 60 or so (enough to allow TCP a retry.) I'll keep the UDP
processing comments in mind, but I don't think they apply for this use.

Cheers!
Rich