Re: PATCH: Do not allow multi interface to block trying to perform DNS on interface names

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 23:45:31 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011, Jason Glasgow wrote:

> I think it would be clearer to just have two different options.

Clearer? Yes. Breaking old programs? Yes. Acceptable? No.

> - CURLOPT_INTERFACE which would only refer to an interface name

Right, but it has been documented to accept a host name as well for about 200
years. Changing this now will break programs. We can't do this.

We would have to add two new options.

> I do admit that this would require rework of some clients -- but I think
> this is reasonable because the two are distinct arguments, and clients may
> have to be rewritten anyway if they want to add the if! or host! prefix.

Adding prefixes will fix programs using the future libcurl version but all
existing program will remain working the same, and I find that a much stronger
argument...