RE: POP3 not using same connection for multiple requests when using starttls

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 09:57:55 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011, Steve Holme wrote:

>> If we do this, how do we distinguish between pop3:// with TLS on port 110
>> and pop3:// without TLS on port 110?
>
> You don't want to distinguish between them. The server and libcurl have
> automatically upgraded the connection to TLS and as such the application
> programmer doesn't need to know (or even cares) if the connection has been
> upgraded. In fact, unless I'm mistaken, there is no way of letting the
> programmer know that the connection has been upgraded.

We have to! If connection A upgrades to TLS and connection B comes along but
doesn't want TLS, the B one has to make its own connection. It cannot be
allowed to silently use TLS instead. And vice versa.

It is only when both requests have the same TLS level (on or off) that they
can re-use the same connection.