Re: Download Averaging Issue

From: Rob Ward <rob_at_rob-ward.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 13:25:30 +0000

On Nov 23, 2011 3:21 PM, "Daniel Stenberg" <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2011, Rob Ward wrote:
>
>> I would have thought that changing the behavior from what it has being
for several years could cause a number of issues for applications in the
field that have a dependency on it's current behavior, however i bow to
your judgment with regards to this as you obviously have a greater
understanding of how curl is used.

> I can't say this with 100% certainty, but I've read about people having
problems in the past as well with changing the speed rating options during
transfers. Possibly a modified behavior would rather be welcomed by users...

> I don't think that many users actually change speed rate during transfers.
>

>> I would have also thought that curl will be used by many for streaming
of media and that having a minimum could service a large number of
application in the future but that is pure speculation.

> You might be right. I can in no way claim to actually know what people
use libcurl for or how many that stream media with it.

> I would love to get some other people's opinions and views on the problem
and the ideas we've bounced back and forth on how to make this
easier/better for applications. Any other media streamer around?

> --
>
> / daniel.haxx.se

As it seems that there are no other active users that use libcurl for
streaming as an alternative question has anyone else got an opinion about
changing the behavior of max recv speed from that documented?

Cheers,

Rob