Re: Enhancing POP3 to support extra commands

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 08:49:26 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, Graeme Gill wrote:

> Except there doesn't seem to be much consistency - witness the
> OPT_DIRLISTONLY flag rather than using the url.

That option (in its original name CURLOPT_FTPLISTONLY) was added to libcurl
back in ancient history before we had a more established way of doing these
things. It has been kept for legacy and compatibility reasons, not because it
is a good way to add new custom commands to libcurl requests.

There are more such examples in libcurl where we once did something in a way
that we now think wasn't optimal, so we try not to repeat old mistakes.