RE: issue with SMTP through HTTP proxy (using curl v 7.20.0)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 00:31:19 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 1 Dec 2011, Chandran, Naveen wrote:

(Reply taken over to curl-library from curl-users)

Please don't top-post and full-quote.

> Oh yes Daniel. I did specify the protocol to be smtp for the CURLOPT_URL
> part. The SMTP server even presents itself with a "220 <server_name> ESMTP"
> message. But afterwards, I get the erroneous behavior nevertheless.

Yes the server says "220..." because you connect to the correct remote port.
But libcurl seems to think it should do HTTP and that is why it sends the HTTP
request instead of speaking SMTP. That's why I wanted to be sure you really
used SMTP:// first in the url string.

Single-stepping with your debugger through the smtp_connect() function should
make a good start.

Can you provide a full example program that repeats this problem with a recent
libcurl version?