SFTP ideas and questions

From: Ellié Computing Open Source Program <opensource_at_elliecomputing.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 14:01:37 +0100

Dear all,

I am working on a SFTP client based on libcurl, and am confronted to a few problems, I have also some questions.

1. I cannot get better times than the minutes because of the listing, however I know the atime/mtime fields in LIBSSH2_SFTP_ATTRIBUTES are more precise than that, they are precise down to a second, and new versions of the protocol supports nanosecond. as you may infer from my email I work on a file comparison/synchronization tool and minute precision is somewhat too bad, in particular when we know better precision is reachable. could there be some raw mode for SFTP? or can I gain access to that data (I think about readdir_attrs content)?

2. during a listing, links are resolved, is it done in a round-trip friendly manner as SFTP allows it, or is there a full round-trip (I ask that because listing the /usr/bin folder takes ages here). as well why block the length of symbolic links at 80 bytes for the arrow+name, why not use MAX_PATH+4 ? it makes the result non trustable.

3. it seems option CURLOPT_NEW_DIRECTORY_PERMS ignored when creating a directory (the 0755 flags are hardcoded in the case SSH_SFTP_QUOTE_MKDIR: while it is used in case SSH_SFTP_CREATE_DIRS_MKDIR:)

(I can work on patches if you’re ok)

Best regards
Armel