Re: Failure to compile curl 7.23.1 with static ssl on Darwin

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 09:15:26 -0800

On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 11:40:01AM -0500, Robert Banfield wrote:
> I think the preferred method though is to not specify -l flags, but
> instead to pass a static lib to gcc in the same form
> ../lib/.libs/libcurl.a is passed above, by just adding
> /path/to/libssl.a and /path/to/libcrypto.a to the gcc command.

Are you using --with-ssl=PATH or pkg-config to specify OpenSSL? curl doesn't
provide such fine-grained control over which libraries to link statically
and which dynamically, so if you have both available, then the linker will
decide for you. If you want to override that, you're on your own, but
it might be as easy as specifying LIBS=/path/to/libssl.a on the configure
line. Otherwise, you could create a special pkg-config file with the
right flags for linking openssl statically and point configure to it
through PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

>>> Dan