Re: libcurl stumbles on weird redirect location

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2011 19:38:22 +0100

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 19:18, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2011, Alex Vinnik wrote:
>
>> I am having a problem using libcurl in my Ruby app (Curb gem binds
>> directly to libcurl). Specifically libcurl can't follow a weird redirect
>> served by a web server. Server Location header "Location:
>> http://www.officedepot.com;jsessionid=0000EXsMRFMF5kwJo26qgOif31d:13ddq0tfm"
>> doesn't look RFC complaint to me. For whatever reason jsessionid gets added
>> to the end of new location.
>

> Wow. That's a broken URL that I've not seen used before.
[..]

> Since this is a fairly big site and at least one of the major browsers
> support this format, I think we should consider supporting it. Even though
> it would be under protest.
>
> Any other opinions?

My gut feeling is that I would rather campaign against Firefox
supporting that format.. I've tried other browsers, and (in addition
to Chrome) none so far will accept it. If Firefox keeps accepting any
and all formats where no thought has been give to the implications
then we'll just end up with a useless ad-hoc standard for URLs which
just gets harder and harder to implement in an efficient way. (And
gmail doesn't interpret the full string as an URL either - URL-parsing
gets more difficult with such ad-hoc schemes too).

-Tor