Re: Issues in constraining number of open connections with curl multi interface

From: Mukul Kedare <kedare.mukul_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2012 21:59:35 +0530

Hi Daniel,

As suggested, we have tried out callbacks for sockets.
We keep socket fd in our connection pool object along with the curl easy
handle, this way we limit the number of fds with the same connection pool
logic of ours.

Following are our observations :

1. opensocket resolves our problem of restricting number of connections

2. close socket is getting invoked frequently, debugged it and found out
the close call in curl source code at lib/connect.c : line no 1013 was
getting invoked.

    /*connect failed or timed out */
      Curl_closesocket(conn, sockfd);

This occured when waitconnect() returned WAITCONN_SELECT_ERROR and
isconnected was set to 1.

What could be the reason for this?

3. We then implemented CURLOPT_SOCKOPTFUNCTION callback , to connect on our
fd and observed that there were no close callback function invoked. This
implies total control of the connection to the application and hence socket
is not getting closed (is this correct ?).
Note that, we also set KeepAlive option. This solves the problem mentioned
in point 2.

*However, we only want control of restricting open fds (i.e connections)
and the connect should be handled by libcurl. This will facilitate us with
not to worry about address resolution and dns caching.

*PFA, the sample code with above implementation.
Please do let us know your thoughts on this and provide guidelines for
proper implementation :)

Regards
Mukul